The purpose of ministry with youth at First UMC is to nurture the youth of our community (grades 6 – 12), by presenting Jesus Christ through Bible study, programming and fellowship.
11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. 16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
Ephesians 4:11-16 (NIV)
We strive to equip youth to become mature disciples of Jesus Christ through these elements of ministry, as found in Ephesians 4:11-16:
- Guided and directed by the Holy Spirit, through prayer and total reliance.
- Valuing every member of the body, and their spiritual gifts.
- Recognizing the value of each young person’s life in God’s eyes.
- Modeling and growing servant attitudes.
- Seeking unity through quality relationships.
- Growth of faith, knowledge and practice.
- Teaching young people to think and discern for themselves.
- Building an environment of trust, based on truth in love.
- Ministering to the whole young person.
- Creating opportunities for outreach and missions.
- Expecting young people to become involved in the life of the body.
Each Sunday morning, our youth gather at 9 am in the 3rd floor Youth Lounge for Bible Study and discussion.
Our puppet ministry helps children in 6th grade and up with a fun way to be leaders in worship. Volunteers perform puppet skits during the year to inform the congregation about God’s love in a format which children and youth can feel comfortable doing during the church service. Contact the new Director of Puppet Ministries, Kamile Geist via email (email@example.com) if you are interested in directing our child puppeteers or if your child is interested in becoming a volunteer.