Thursday, Nov.16, 2017
In attendance: Dave Bayless, Vicki Butcher, Kathy Gilmore, Jenny Klein, Kim Mather, Robert McDowell, Deb Murray, Brenda Noftz, Brandon Saunders, Steve Sloan, Mike Sweeney
Guests: David Koonce, Dave Liggitt, Dan Smith
Called to Order: 6:35 pm
We opened with prayer and shared Thin Place Moments. We then welcomed Dan Smith, Church Treasurer, and David Koonce and Dave Liggitt, who will officially join the Board in January.
The Sept.28 minutes were approved by consensus.
- Capital Campaign:
Based on the extra expenses of the building improvements and our anticipated campaign income, we anticipate a shortfall between $5,000 and $25,000 by the end of the campaign in April 2019.
Dan proposed converting the $150,000 loan from the Endowment Fund for the building improvements into a one-time dividend from excess earnings and depositing the dividend in the Major Projects and Improvements Account. This would negate the need to pay the money back to the Endowment. The Board gave consensus approval.
- General Budget:
The October Treasurer’s Report shows that income is about $4,000 ahead of expenses, and the $15,000 pledge offset funds still have not been used. There is also $3,700 in unused outreach staffing that has not been transferred into the operating budget. Carry-forward of about $20,000 is anticipated. Dan encouraged weaning off of using Endowment interest funds for operating expenses, making them available for outreach and new programs instead.
- The United Methodist Church Special Commission tasked with finding a way for the global United Methodist Church to be welcoming and inclusive of all people, specifically addressing issues of sexual orientation, has submitted to the Bishop its report on “A Way Forward.” The report is expected to be released this summer.
- Pastor Robert shared that First UMC is perceived by some as not being inclusive of all, and he encouraged us to initiate conversation in our groups about how to change that perception.
- 2018/Future Staffing Needs: Staff positions that will need first consideration are Youth Director, First Saturday Leader, and College Ministry Coordinator. Rick Seiter may take on another small church next summer, in which case he would acquiesce one day of compensation from First UMC.
- Pastor Robert would like to reach out to small United Methodist churches in the area to help them feel less isolated. He envisions a weekly event of fellowship/small group discussions held at one of the larger churches that has adequate facilities, with hosting/programming responsibilities rotated among the larger churches and possibly coordinated by a shared staff person.
- First Floor hallway painting has been completed.
- Drainage problems that were affecting the foundation of the parsonage have been resolved.
- The cause of the driveway damage at the parsonage has been determined, and a bid for repairs has been accepted.
- Development of a Disaster Strategy Proposal for the church is ongoing. Steve Noftz has agreed to lend his expertise.
- The Growing Tree Preschool Director position has been posted. The closing date for applications is Jan.15, and interviews will follow with the goal of announcing the new Director by March 1.
- A proposal for a new Growing Tree summer morning session (beginning in 2019) will be discussed in a future meeting.
The proposed budget for 2018 was approved by consensus.
Boy Scout Report:
Pastor Robert shared a report from the Boy Scout troop that meets in our building. Although their numbers are down, they are active and appreciate the support of our church.
Leadership Board Members:
The Board expressed its appreciation to Kim, Deb and Mike, whose term has ended. One vacancy on the Board remains to be filled for next year.
We closed in prayer at 8:30 pm.
The next meeting will be on January 25, 2018 at 6:30 pm.