First UMC Leadership Board – Proceedings
Thursday, Oct.27, 2016
In attendance: Dave Bayless, Cindy Boger, Vicki Butcher, Kathy Gilmore, Jenny Klein, Tom Marx, Kim Mather, Robert McDowell, Deb Murray, Brenda Noftz, Brandon Saunders, Steve Sloan, Mike Sweeney
Called to Order: 7:05 pm
Pastor Robert opened with prayer, and we shared Thin Place Moments.
Review and Approval of Minutes:
The Sept.22 minutes were approved by consensus.
- The September 2016 Treasurer’s Report shows that our income and expenses are tracking well at the three-quarter mark. Total income is at 75%, and total expenses are at 74%.
- $15,000 of the $30,000 available “pledge offset” money has been used for operating expenses this year. Next year’s plan will need to address replacement for funds used this year.
- Next year’s plan will also need to address outreach music programming costs, realistic needs for office expenses and promotions, financial support for the radio ministry, costs of atrium and sanctuary heating, AC, cleaning, etc., and funding for new programs started this year or planned for next year.
- Denise now will require those submitting expenses for reimbursement to provide an expense report, signed by their manager. This will indicate that the expenses have been reviewed and are needed, reasonable and customary for our institution.
2017 General Budget Planning Update:
- It should be possible to provide a reasonable across-the-board staff raise due to savings from discontinuing the two part-time Communications positions.
- Apportionments will increase by approximately $4,000, which is a larger increase than anticipated.
- Participants in the Fall Core Course sessions will be recognized in the worship services on Nov.13.
- Steve reported on the Bishop’s Event on Oct.19. Bishop Palmer spoke about the special Commission of Bishops that will work to reconcile the United Methodist Church’s position on LGBT issues as they relate to marriage and ordination. The Commission will hold a special conference of Bishops to present its work prior to the 2020 General Conference. The Bishop was unable to guarantee that there will be no division in the church over the issue.
- Fall New Member Orientation, “Discover First,” is scheduled for Nov.15 at 6:00pm.
- A representative from First UMC is still needed to serve on the United Campus Ministries Board.
Building Implementation Team:
- Brandon reported that there are struggles with the calendar, but he still hopes the sanctuary will be open for Christmas Eve services.
- The budget still looks good, with approximately $10,000 remaining in contingency funds.
- There was discussion about the chancel renovations. Brandon proposed using savings from the revised projection system to purchase faux organ pipes to place on the new balcony, to address the architect’s concern about having too much blank wall space. Some of the faux pipes would be used to fill in the ranks after proposed future relocation of the real pipes. The Board reaffirmed its consensus approval of the new wall and balcony, but the purchase of faux pipes was not approved at this time. Options for dressing the blank space will be considered later if needed.
Steve reported a recommendation from one of the other companies (T. Luckey Sons, Inc.) consulted about the parsonage foundation issues. They recommended addressing drainage problems and filling in cracks, gaps and crevices to make it possible to assess further movement once the drainage has been improved. They suggested that this may make the much more expensive work proposed by Dwyer unnecessary but needs to be completed regardless. The Board gave consensus approval to hire a plumber to check the downspout drains and to complete any necessary repairs/replacements, and to have cracks, gaps and crevices filled.
Pastor Parish Relations Report:
The two part-time Communications positions have been eliminated, and communications responsibilities have been assigned to the Office Manager.
New Combined E-mail Address for the Leadership Board:
A new e-mail address for the Board will be created. The Board Secretary will be responsible for overseeing changes/updates to the group address.
- Pastor Robert will introduce a new four-week sermon series on Oct.30, focusing each week on a different style of worship music. Classical, Jazz, Country and Rock music will be highlighted.
- Hospitality will be the main focus for First UMC in 2017.
Steve closed the meeting with prayer.
The next meeting will be on Thursday, Nov.17 at 6:30 pm.