First UMC Leadership Board – Proceedings
Thursday, Aug. 25, 2016
In attendance: Dave Bayless, Cindy Boger, Vicki Butcher, Jennie Klein, Tom Marx, Kim Mather, Robert McDowell, Deb Murray, Brenda Noftz, Brandon Saunders, Steve Sloan
Called to Order: 6:35 pm
Pastor Robert welcomed new members Dave Bayless, Jennie Klein and Brenda Noftz. He shared Pew Research results that indicate that the hospitality of the leadership and members plays a large role when people choose a new church or house of worship, and said that next year’s focus at First UMC will be on hospitality. Then we shared several “Thin Place Moments.”
Review and Approval of Minutes:
The June 23 minutes were approved by consensus.
Kathy distributed the July Treasurer’s Report in advance. The report shows that we are doing well at the 7-month point.
- Small group sign-up sheets will be available and Pete Mather will share his small group testimony in both services on Aug.28,
- Registration for the six Core Courses is available online. The first series, Christianity 101, will begin on Sept.11, 6:00-7:30pm at First UMC.
- First UMC’s Fall Church Conference will be on Sunday, Oct.16. Rev. Dennis Miller will preach at both services and lead the conference at 10:00am (between services).
- The 10:30 worship service will move to Fellowship Hall beginning Sept.18 to accommodate sanctuary renovations.
- A representative from First UMC is still needed to serve on the United Campus Ministries Board.
- Two new staff were hired during the summer: Jenaye Hill as Office Manager, and Angela Strycker as Growing Tree Preschool teacher.
Building Implementation Team:
Brandon reported that most contractors are on board. He was delighted to discover a brick from the original church building when the base for the elevator was dug.
- Sample boring was completed at the parsonage earlier this summer. Steve will request an update from the company that will be reinforcing the foundation.
- A Church Workday will be scheduled to help with the library and the books that have already been moved into the hallway.
Leadership Board Membership/Classes:
- The following new Board positions have been accepted:
Dave – Trustees
Tom – Staff/Parish
Brenda – Finance
The symbol on the Board application needs to be updated.
- The new budget will be presented to the Staff at their meeting in September to aid in planning for the coming year.
- The bulletin has been reformatted as a tri-fold. Inserts will no longer be enclosed; rather, short announcements will appear in the bulletin to indicate who to contact for further information. After the atrium is completed, brochures or leaflets may be made available there.
The meeting closed with the Lord’s Prayer in unison.
The next meeting will be on Thursday, Sept.22 at 6:30 pm.