The proceedings of the latest leadership board meeting are now available! Click here to download a PDF version for saving or printing.
First UMC Leadership Board – Proceedings
Thursday, May 19, 2016
In attendance: Vicki Butcher, Kathy Gilmore, Joyce Lambert, Robert McDowell, Deb Murray, Steve Sloan, Mike Sweeney
Guest: Tom Marx
Review and Approval of Minutes:
The April 19 minutes were approved by consensus.
- Joyce provided in advance the Treasurer’s Report as of April 2016 that shows that most expenses are on track.
- General Conference – Pastor Robert reported that action on the issue of sexual preference was deferred. A group of select bishops from around the world will form a human sexuality study commission to gather information and then convene in approximately two years to discuss their findings. They will present their report to the 2020 General Conference, or before for a special session of General Conference.
- Pastor Robert and Lay Delegate Martha Sloan will attend the West Ohio Annual Conference June 5-8. The major work of the conference will be approval of the budget and a review of the consultation process to find ways to increase transparency.
- The six core courses planned for 2016/17 will be led by the pastors of First UMC, Central Ave. UMC, Richland UMC, and The Plains UMC, not in their own churches. It is hoped that the finalized schedule will result in academic-year courses being offered within walking distance of OU’s campus.
- Annual staff reviews will be conducted in May and June.
- Small groups will meet during the summer on a schedule determined by the members of each group.
- The Connect Cards used in the Worship services will be revised to offer first-time guests an opportunity to choose a charitable organization to receive a donation from First UMC in their name. Habitat for Humanity, Monday Lunch, Good Works Outreach, and Hospice will be listed on the cards.
Building Implementation Team:
Elevator work is expected to begin between the end of June and mid-July.
- Pastor Robert and Board members have been invited to an Earth Justice Network Planning Meeting to discuss opportunities for environmental changes at First UMC.
- The United Campus Ministries Board would like to add a representative from First UMC.
- There was a brief discussion about levels of decision-making and approvals. The conclusion was that the building renewal was approved by all required parties, and the Capital Campaign raised funds specifically to support the projects in that renewal; therefore, individual expenses for the projects do not require further approval by the Board.
- Steve presented a proposed contract for soil boring tests at the Parsonage in preparation for necessary foundation repairs. The Board gave consensus approval of the contract.
The next meeting will be on Thursday, June 23 at 6:00 pm at the Parsonage.